How do you do a digital transformation at scale? Read below to know.
Digital Transformation at Scale
Today, it is not easy to keep up with the pace of digital transformation. For example, when you were using the same ERP system ten years ago, you might have been a large enterprise or a big corporation. Compared to the past, today you may find yourself in a smaller organization and working with a smaller budget. But what can you do?
As a small organization, you have to think creatively and proactively to keep up with the changes going on in the market. It is not only about implementing new technologies that will add value to your business. But also adopting new ways of doing business that will help your business compete with bigger players in the industry.
In the current scenario, where technology is moving very fast, there are two options before you:
- You can invest in a bunch of different technologies. Then, wait and watch and hope that you will be able to get value out of it.
- Or you can do a digital transformation at scale and make sure that you get value from your investment in an efficient manner.
It is always better to take the second option.
What is Digital Transformation at Scale?
When we talk about the digital transformation at scale, we mean that you can either completely change the way you do business or it can be a part of your strategy.
Let’s say, for example, you have a small e-commerce business that sells books online. You have a website and a database system, but you are not getting enough sales even though you have been there in the market for the past few years. So, instead of investing money in more advertising, you decide to go through a digital transformation process.
In this process, you plan to add more books which will help you get more sales because people will find it easy to find the books they are looking for. In addition, uploading reviews from people who have read these books before will help your customers make better decisions when they buy your products online. As a result, your business will get more sales and more profit which will help your business grow further.
Approaches to Take
If we look at this example from a macro point of view, three approaches will help organizations accelerate their digital transformation journey:
- Innovative Products. Instead of adding new products to your existing product line, focus on making your existing products better digitally to get a better customer experience which will eventually lead to higher ROI for your business.
- Innovative Distribution Channels. To reach out to more customers, think about creating an online platform. A place where people can buy things that they need instead of just sitting in front of their laptops or computers and ordering online.
- Innovative Organizational Design. With technological changes in place, there is no point in following the same organizational structure. It is important to reinvent the organizational design. This is to adapt to new technologies so that it can enhance employee engagement and performance with better efficiency. This is when it comes to supporting customers with new technology-enabled products and services.